The Geraldine R Dodge Foundation partners with Young Audiences, professional dance companies and teachers to promote the Dance to Learn experience.
Dance To Learn is:
- a four-year interdisciplinary and inclusive dance curriculum with the goal to advance dance education in schools and community settings.
- a model of dance education that meets or exceeds the NJ Department of Education Core Curriculum Standards for Dance and the National Core Arts Standards in Dance.
The Dance To Learn curriculum is both arts-based and truly arts-integrated because it:
- encourages students to explore, internalize and transform classroom learning and the elements of dance while developing their individual creative voices.
- offers opportunities for students to reflect, critique and connect personal experiences to their learning of dance and in their classrooms.
- is adaptive to any dance style, genre, or culture.
- provides an inroad to kinesthetic learning and connects to language arts, mathematics, science and social studies, physical education and music curriculums.
- offers formative and summative assessment and documentation tools to help measure the effectiveness of student learning and facilitator impact.
Become a part of the Dance To Learn community!
Together we can advance the frontiers of dance education.
The Geraldine R Dodge Foundation and Young Audiences invites professional dance companies to become a part of the Dance To Learn community!
As a part of the Dance To Learn community your company will:
- learn the most effective, efficient, and affordable way of integrating the Core Curriculum Standards for Dance education.
- be provided with professional development and mentorship to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to identify and develop sustainable partnerships and advance high quality programming.
- be guided to create unique partnerships with school communities that foster lasting impact among dance companies, teachers, students, and families.
- be shown how to integrate a professional performance by your company as part of the curriculum.
” The training and implementation of Dance To Learn has transformed the capacity of Nimbus Dance Works. We are passionate about creative movement and are stronger because of Dance To Learn.” Samuel Pott, Artistic Director
The Geraldine R Dodge Foundation and Young Audiences invites classroom and specialized teachers to become a part of the Dance To Learn community!
Dance To Learn offers teachers:
- the most effective, efficient, and affordable way of integrating Core Curriculum Standards for Dance education into the school day.
- professional development and mentorship to integrate dance into their classes.
- a model for how to use kinesthetic learning to teach language arts, mathematics, science and social studies, physical education or music.
- support to identify and sustain community partners.
“Dance To Learn ensures that students are not learning dance and movement in isolation, but are forging interdisciplinary connections with the teaching and learning taking place in our classrooms.” Carolyn Keck, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
“Having Dance To Learn in my music class gave me the time and training to expand my lesson plans.”
Micki Stuckane, Red Bank Charter School, Music Teacher